Sunday, January 18, 2009

My creativity

I am a band director.  My art is crafting sound.  However, I dabble in writing a little of everything.  Mostly it's my attempt to put on paper the things that I can never seem to say out loud.  And it's always a good way to remember, to hope, and to dream.

Here is something I wrote December 26, 2008.  As I find more stuff that I've written (I'm forever hiding it from myself) I'll post it.  

-----------------------------------------------------------

Isn't it funny how quickly things change.
I never could've imagined being here,
Lying next to you as you sleep.

I watch your chest rise and fall.
The silence that surrounds us is
Peaceful, comfortable.

I hear only you breathing and the traffic as it passes by..

Knowing you for as long as I've known you makes this easier.
But things are different between us now.
We can never go back to the way things were.

I know that when the sun comes up
You will go and look out the window.
You will take in the snow and we will talk
Of the day that lies ahead

You go take your shower.  
I remain as I was under the covers.
After you shower you lay down next to me again
Taking me in your arms
Almost as if you'd rather stay than face the day

We both have our own agenda
And hope that maybe our paths will cross again
Before nightfall comes.

Seeing you among all of those people
Was like a breath of fresh air
You, so in your element
Me, so out of mine
Afraid to stand and talk for too long.
Afraid other people would see.

A simple wave, maybe a word or two
Always knowing as night fell
I would be in your arms again
My head on your chest
Hearing your heart beat

Even now, nearly a week later,
I can still feel your touch.

Through all of the craziness since returning
I have found solitude in what once was a dream.
A dream that so quickly became a reality
And a wonderful memory.

Of course, I realize opportunies like that
May not present themselves again.
Our time is and will always be very limited.
However, what happened will forever change us.
We can never go back to what we were.
We can only move forward and become what we are.

Time and distance
Circumstance.
These things will keep us apart.
And after the initial grieving period
I don't expect we'll communicate much

I have been here before and know how this works.
So far, you have surpassed communication expectations.
However, it will break down, and when it does,
Know that I will thinking about you every day.

You fill my dreams, my thoughts and my prayers.
Godspeed my lover.  My friend.

1 comment:

  1. I know where you were on the 26th, and at first I thought you were going to write about Georgia or Stiglitz or even Marilyn...but alas as I read on I relized this was wrting about the past not the present...lol...ahhh but the present is so much safer but not quite as romantic...Thanks for all you do for me..Luv LE

    ReplyDelete